Choosing a Domain Name
Your domain name is your address on the internet and gives you an online identity or brand. It's a valuable part of your business identity and an important marketing tool.
The most important step in registering a domain name is choosing the right one. For the technical aspects of the registration process click here.
.com vs .com.au?
The choice is yours, some points to consider:
How to Select Your Domain Name
There are many different opinions on how to select the best domain name for your business online. You want to draw the maximum number of customers to your site, and selecting an appropriate domain name will help you achieve that goal. A really good domain name serves not only as a piece of the technical jigsaw, but more importantly, it is your identity, brand and personality online.
At the present time, there seem to be two main theories on the best way to go. One belief is that you should use keywords in your domain name, for example, if you are selling extra size shoes in Adelaide, then you may choose something like “bigshoesadelaide.com.au”.
The other school of thought is that your domain name should reflect your brand, and most people seem to favor this approach, this site, for instance is a good example of a branding style domain name.
Whilst the branding option seems more attractive, the fact is that search engines are more likely to list your domain name in search results if the name contains common search keywords for the area of interest to which your site belongs. If we only had to consider search engine behavior, the choice would be simple but we need to consider the behavior of internet users too. One solution could be to register multiple domain names and employ re-directs. For example a Real Estate Agent might register www.johnbloggsrealestate.com.au and build their website but use www.johnbloggs.com.au on all their signage and marketing material. In this example www.johnbloggs.com.au simply re-directs to www.johnbloggsrealestate.com.au.
Some examples of (not so) well thought out Online Company Names!
All of these are legitimate companies that didn´t spend quite enough time considering how their online names might appear ... and be misread.
These are not made up. Check them out yourself!
- Who Represents is where you can find the name of the agent that represents any celebrity. Their Web site is: http://www.whorepresents.com
- Experts Exchange is a knowledge base where programmers can exchange advice and views at: http://www.expertsexchange.com
- Looking for a pen? Look no further than Pen Island at: http://www.penisland.net
- Need a therapist? Try Therapist Finder at: http://www.therapistfinder.com
- There's the Italian Power Generator company: http://www.powergenitalia.com
- And don´t forget the Mole Station Native Nursery in New South Wales: http://www.molestationnursery.com
- If you´re looking for IP computer software, there's always: http://www.ipanywhere.com
- The First Cumming Methodist Church Web site is: http://www.cummingfirst.com
- And the designers at Speed of Art await you at their wacky Web site: http://www.speedofart.com
Tip: Type your potential domain name into the URL bar of your browser and see how it looks.